Pests can be a nuisance, and they can also pose a serious health risk. That’s why it’s important to take steps to keep your home pest-free. In this post, we’ll provide some simple tips for Pest Control Geelong. We’ll also cover how to get rid of common pests, such as cockroaches, rats, and spiders. So read on for tips on how to keep pests out of your home for good!
Why Are Pests Attracted To Your Home?
There are a few reasons why pests might be attracted to your home. One reason is that pests are looking for food. They may be seeking out crumbs or food particles that you’ve dropped, or they may be going after the pet food that’s been left out.
Pests may also be attracted to your home because of the climate. If you live in a warm climate, pests may find your home to be an ideal place to live and breed. And finally, pests may be drawn to your home because of its structural vulnerabilities. Cracks in the foundation, leaks in the roof, and improperly sealed doors and windows can all make your home more inviting to pests.
What Can You Do To Keep Pests Out Of Your Home?
There are a few things that you can do to help keep pests out of your home and keep your family safe. The most important step is to seal up any cracks or openings in your home. This includes cracks in the foundation, around the windows and doors, and in the walls. Make sure that all the screens in your home are in good condition and fit tightly.
You can also use aPest Control Geelong barrier sealant to create a physical barrier between your home and pests. These sealants come in a variety of forms such as sprays, foams, or gels, and can be used around doorframes, windows, and other entry points.
Finally, it’s important to keep your home clean and free of food and water sources that pests can access. Regularly sweep and mop your floors, clean up any crumbs or spills, and empty the trash cans regularly.
What Are Some Common Household Pests?
Here are some of the most common household pests and what you can do to get rid of them:
– Ants: Ants can be tricky to get rid of because they build their nests underground. The best way to get rid of them is to find their nest and pour boiling water on it. You can also use ant bait to lure them away from your home.
– Spiders: Spiders are usually more of a nuisance than a real threat, but they can be dangerous if you’re allergic. The best way to get rid of spiders is to vacuum them up (and their webs), then spray a pest control solution around your home.
– Roaches: Roaches are one of the most common household pests and they can be very difficult to get rid of. The best way to deal with them is to call a professional pest control service.
What Are The Best Ways To Get Rid Of Pests?
There are a few simple things you can do to help get rid of pests and keep them from returning.
The first step is to identify the pest you’re dealing with. This will help you determine the best way to get rid of it. Common pests include ants, spiders, cockroaches, and rodents.
Once you know what kind of pest you’re dealing with, there are a few basic things you can do to get rid of them:
-Keep your home clean and organized. This will make it harder for pests to find food and shelter.
-Seal up any cracks or openings in your home’s exterior. This will keep pests from entering your home.
-Use a good quality pest control spray or product in key areas of your home. This will help get rid of any active pests and prevent them from coming back.
Should You Hire A Professional Pest Control Company?
While there are many do-it-yourself tips and tricks when it comes to pest control, sometimes it’s best to leave the job to the professionals. If you’re dealing with a pest infestation, it’s important to take action as soon as possible. Not only can pests cause damage to your home, they can also be a health hazard. If you’re not sure if you should hire a professional pest control company or try to take care of the problem yourself, here are a few things to consider:
How bad is the infestation?
How much experience do you have with pest control?
What kind of pests are you dealing with?
How much does professional pest control cost?
How Can You Prevent Pests From Coming Back?
One of the biggest challenges of pest control is making sure they don’t come back. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to make sure they stay away.
The most important thing is to keep your home clean and free of clutter. Pests love to hide in dark, cluttered corners, so make sure you’re doing a thorough clean every week. Another key factor is making sure your home is sealed up properly. Inspect your doors and windows for any cracks or holes and fix them up if you find any. Finally, make sure you’re not providing any food or water sources for the pests. Keep your kitchen and bathroom clean and free of crumbs and leaks, and don’t leave any water bottles or dishes out overnight.
What Are Some Natural Pest Control Methods?
While there are plenty of chemical-based pest control methods available, they can often be harmful to both you and the environment. That’s why we love organic and natural pest control methods – they’re safe for everyone and are often more effective in the long run. Here are a few of our favorites:
– Citrus peels: Chop up citrus fruit, like lemon or lime, and spread the pieces around the areas you want to protect from pests. The citrus oil will deter them and keep them away.
– Lavender oil: Another great essential oil for pest control is lavender oil. Mix a few drops with water in a spray bottle and spray around your home – it will keep pests away without using any harsh chemicals.
– Peppermint oil: Similar to lavender oil, peppermint oil is a natural repellent that will keep insects at bay. Add a few drops of water to a spray bottle and spritz it around your house to keep pests away.
What Are Some Tips For Dealing With Specific Pests?
Carpenter ants: To deal with carpenter ants, you’ll need to locate their nest and then destroy it. You can try pouring boiling water on the Pest or use an insecticide.
Ants: Ants are attracted to food, so make sure to clean up any crumbs or spills as soon as they happen. You can also try using ant bait to lure them away from your home.
Bees and wasps: If you’re dealing with bees or wasps, it’s best to stay calm and avoid aggravating them. Try using a bee and wasp spray to get rid of them, but make sure to use caution and follow the instructions carefully.
Spiders: To get rid of spiders, you can use a spider spray or remove their webs. You can also try using peppermint oil as a natural deterrent.
While it’s important to take precautions to keep pests out of your home, it’s also helpful to know how to get rid of them if they do make their way in. By choosing the bestPest Control Geelong, you can pest-proof your home and get rid of any pests that may be causing trouble.
IPM focuses on two parts – prevention and control – and has three basic rules: (1) Deny pests access to the establishment; (2) Deny pests food, water, and a place to hide or nest; and (3) Work in partnership with a PCO to eliminate any pest that does gain access to the establishment.What are the three basic rules for keeping a pest free facility? ›
- Step 1: Prevent entrances. Pests can find their way in through the smallest places and holes. ...
- Step 2: Keep it clean. Remember to clean and sanitize your facility often to remove any extra food or debris that could be appealing to pests. ...
- Step 3: Eliminate food, water, and shelter sources.
- Regularly Dispose of Trash. ...
- Patch Exterior Holes. ...
- Store Food in Secure Containers. ...
- Deep Clean the Home. ...
- Reexamine Your Landscaping. ...
- Sanitize Soft Surfaces, Too.
IPM focuses on two parts – prevention and control – and has three basic rules: (1) Deny pests access to the establishment; (2) Deny pests food, water, and a place to hide or nest; and (3) Work in partnership with a PCO to eliminate any pest that does gain access to the establishment.What are the 3 principles of pest control? ›
Whenever you try to control a pest you will want to achieve one of these three goals. or some combination of them: prevention - keeping a pest from becoming a problem. suppression - reducing pest numbers or damage to an acceptable level, and . eradication - destroying an entire pest population.What do bugs hate the most? ›
Lemongrass, citrus, peppermint, eucalyptus, tea tree, citronella, catnip, and lavender oils all possess properties that repel bugs. The oils can be used individually or combined to make a simple anti-bug potion.What smell do house bugs hate? ›
Many bugs are repelled by certain smells, such as peppermint, tea tree oil, and lavender. As such, it makes sense that bed bugs too, would be repelled by certain smells.What scent keeps bugs out of the house? ›
Clove, peppermint, thyme, rosemary, and citronella oil are just a few essential oils that can help keep bugs away.What is the hardest pest to control? ›
- Bed Bugs.
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Keep basements, attics, and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
Chemical. Chemical pest control methods are the most widely used approach to pest control. They are also commonly used to control weed infestations and diseases in crops.What is the rule of 23 in pest control? ›
“So if you had no growth, you should have 23 percent profit, or if you had no profit, you should have 23 percent growth, or you should achieve a combination of the two that equals 23.What would be the very first step in preventing pests? ›
Eliminating entry points for pests will help keep them out of your establishment. This could include patching holes in walls and keeping doors closed as often as possible. In addition to this, inspecting food shipments for signs of pests and rodents can help keep pests out of your establishment.What is pest control strategy? ›
The most effective strategy for controlling pests is to combine methods in an approach known as Integrated Pest Management (IPM). In IPM, information about pests and available pest control methods is used to manage pest damage by the most economical means while minimizing risks to you, your pets, and your environment.What is the key element of a successful pest control program? ›
The Most Important Part of a Successful Pest Management Protocol: The Inspection. A thorough inspection is necessary to provide the highest quality pest control service as it provides the PMP with important information to consider when making recommendations and creating an effective treatment plan.What are the pest management strategies? ›
- Soil Treatment. Favorable soil conditions speed up plant growth, and vigorous crops are more resistant to infestations. ...
- Selection Of Suitable Plants. ...
- Crop Rotation. ...
- Interplanting Or Strip Cropping. ...
- Use Of Trap Plants. ...
- Choice Of Planting Dates. ...
- Weed Management. ...
Dryer sheets are designed to provide a pleasant scent to laundry, not to repel insects, so any insect-repellent properties may wear off quickly. In summary, while some people claim that dryer sheets can repel mosquitoes, there is little scientific evidence to support this claim.How do you keep bugs away permanently? ›
- Keep your kitchen counters and floors clean of crumbs.
- Store food in sealed containers.
- Regularly remove the garbage from your home.
- Rinse out your recyclables like plastic bottles and food containers.
- Avoid leaving dishes in the sink.
- Fix leaks and clean up spills as soon as possible.
Clean & Sweep Regularly
Good housekeeping helps keep bugs away, especially in the kitchen where food crumbs can accumulate. Empty trash cans regularly, and vacuum weekly. Don't forget to clean your kitchen-sink and bathtub drains; drain flies will live in there and fly out to look for food.
Vinegar is one of the best ingredients to make a pest control spray out of. It is effective in repelling ants, mosquitoes, fruit flies, and many others. Creating a mix is quite simple. What's best is that it is safe for humans and pets.
Ants. According to the National Pest Management Association, ants are the biggest nuisance within American households.What is the number one pest problem in America? ›
The number one pest in homes and buildings? Cockroach is a good guess—but wrong. And despite all of the publicity, the bed bug isn't even close. According to a survey of pest control companies all over America, it's the lowly ant.What season are pests most active? ›
SPRING: Springtime brings about an increase in temperatures, the melting of ice, and the blooming of flowers. These warmer temperatures bring many pests out from their winter hiding places. As these animals emerge they will have one thing on their minds – food and water!What are two natural enemies of pests? ›
Important natural enemies of insect and mite pests include predators, parasitoids (parasites), and pathogens.Is it better to spray inside or outside for bugs? ›
With this, spraying inside is a must for Go-Forth Pest Control to eliminate or kill vermin that keep on infesting the place. Some pests will hide on the walls, underneath the floors, in foundations, and more, and with this; you cannot skip these areas when your house is being treated.What is one natural method of pest control? ›
A hit of oil can quickly kill aphids, mites, thrips, and other insects that pester you. To create a simple oil insecticide, mix 1 cup of vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon of soap and then shake it thoroughly. Then add 2 teaspoons of the oil/water mix to 1 quart of water and spray directly on insects or on affected areas.How do I prevent pest infestation in my kitchen? ›
- Regularly Clean Up Right After Meals.
- Stock Your Pantry with Canned or Jarred Food Items.
- Use Your Fridge and Freezer More for Storage.
- Seal Holes and Cracks.
- Take Out the Trash as Soon as Necessary.
- Regularly Check for the Presence of Pests.
Important natural enemies of insect and mite pests include predators, parasitoids (parasites), and pathogens.How do you keep pests away organically? ›
- Start with “Clean” Soil. Good soil can actually deter garden insect pests. ...
- Buy Disease and Pest-Resistant Seeds. ...
- Selectively and Aggressively Thin Out Plants. ...
- Water Plants in the Early Morning. ...
- Control Weeds. ...
- Keep Your Garden Clean. ...
- Use Insect Traps. ...
- Add Beneficial Insects.
Natural predation – By encouraging natural predators of any specific pest into the area, the pest in question will be controlled. Ladybirds, lacewings, frogs, hedgehogs and birds are all great at limiting numbers of garden pests such as aphids and slugs.
- Soapy Water. Keep a small spray bottle handy, and spray the ants with a bit of soapy water. ...
- Bedding and Mattress Covers. ...
- Diatomaceous Earth. ...
- Nontoxic Flea Traps. ...
- Removing Water Around the House. ...
- Mint. ...
- Bed Bug Spray.
- Barn Owls and Birds. Barn owls are expert rodent hunters and can be extremely helpful for controlling rodent populations. ...
- Cats. Cats can also help you control a rodent problem. ...
- Dogs. ...
- Frogs, Toads, and Salamanders. ...
- Basil and Mint. Basil and mint are delicious ingredients, perfect for your favorite Italian fare or a cup of tea. ...
- Sage and Rosemary. ...
- Citronella Plant and Lemongrass. ...
- Marigolds. ...
- Lavender. ...
- Catnip. ...
- Chrysanthemums. ...
- Carnivorous Plants.
Organic pest management may include the use of pheromone traps, release of beneficial insects, use of trap crops, and other organically approved techniques (see Rules Relating to Pest Management, next page).What insects does vinegar attract? ›
Certain insects are attracted to vinegar. Namely, those attracted to decaying plant matter, with aphids and fruit flies as the primary culprits.What is the most preferred method of pest control? ›
Pesticides and chemicals are probably the most common and widespread method used in the industry. It's simple, results are typically quick, and when applied and mixed properly by a professional—they're very safe.What kills and repels roaches? ›
Peppermint oil, cedarwood oil, and cypress oil are essential oils that effectively keep cockroaches at bay. Additionally, these insects hate the smell of crushed bay leaves and steer clear of coffee grounds. If you want to try a natural way to kill them, combine powdered sugar and boric acid.What is the best DIY pesticide? ›
A mixture of ½ cup rubbing alcohol and 1 quart of liquid soap can make an effective pest control spray to get rid of whiteflies, aphids, mealy bugs, scale insects, and thrips. Fill a spray bottle, shake, and spritz directly on your plants.How do you make homemade pest repellent? ›
Mix 1 part oil of lemon eucalyptus or lavender essential oil with 10 parts witch hazel in the bottle. (For each drop of oil, use 10 drops of witch hazel.) Shake gently to mix. Spray to apply.What household spray kills bugs? ›
Windex – Windex is one of the most common and most effective DIY household products for pest control. Windex is toxic to most pests, especially spiders. Spraying window cleaner directly onto small insects like ants or mosquitoes will kill them within a few moments.